Monday, February 28, 2011

MOM'S THREE WISHES SAGA:

"I want to go to Hawaii". I guess I've heard that a dozen times from Mom while growing up in Oklahoma. I think her generation of Americans is infatuated with the South Seas part of our world. So when I saw an Hawaiian vacation contest in my local city magazine  (The Washingtonian, December 1980), I thought I'd like to try to win a trip for her.


Well, it was right up my alley since I'm a Washingtonianphile and an architect and the contest required identifying 15 pictures of locations in and around Washington, D. C. A few were easy, such as a corner of Dulles International Airport. Others were very difficult, like part of a statue or a fencepost! Of the 15 pictures, I definitely new five, had a pretty good idea of four more but didn't know the other six. First prize was an all expense paid trip for two including hotels to Oahu and Maui plus $500; second prize was a trip for one and $250.


Having only two weeks before the deadline, I began a systematic search, carrying with me at all times the pictures of as yet unidentified places. I got my roommate, Ed Crowley, to help in the search.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Don Voth said...

Sure. Just you wait until this one unfolds. It's QUITE a story!